2kg saddle of venison 1 1/2–2 litres buttermilk 6–8 juniper berries 1 bay leaf 3 peppercorns 50g melted butter 150g bacon, in slices 125g sour cream 125–250ml red wine cornflour 3 pears, halved 6 teaspoons cranberry sauce salt and pepper
Per portion: 505 kcal / 2111 kJ / protein 40g / fat 29g / carbohydrate 15g
1. Remove any skin from the meat and rinse in cold water. For the marinade, mix the buttermilk with the spices. Marinate the meat in this mixture for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Rinse the meat in cold water, pat dry with kitchen roll and season with salt and pepper. Brush with melted butter, wrap in slices of bacon and place in a roasting tin.
3. Cover and roast in the oven. After about 30 minutes of the cooking time, add some red wine and a little sour cream and continue to roast without a lid.
4. To make the sauce, blend the meat juices from the roasting tin with the red wine or some water, the rest of the sour cream and some cornflour. Bring to the boil and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
5. Warm the pear halves and cranberry sauce and serve with the roast.
If using a roast probe, ensure the core temperature stays at 65–70°C.