1 farmed duck (2–2.3 kg) salt freshly ground pepper
For the spicy stock: 1 vanilla pod (cut open lengthways) 3 star anise pods 1 tbsp each of fennel and coriander seeds 6 cloves 1 red pepper (deseeded) 1–2 garlic cloves 1 onion and 1 carrot (chopped) 125 g chopped celery 200 ml white wine salt freshly ground black pepper balsamic vinegar and sugar to taste
For the stuffing: 1 piece of root ginger (walnut-sized) 125 g celery 2 spring onions 1/2 tbsp fresh green peppercorns 2 medium-sized aromatic pears 1 vanilla pod (cut open lengthways) salt the leaves from 1 bunch of marjoram
kitchen paper wooden skewers kitchen string aluminium foil
Per portion: 2296 kJ / 549 kcal, protein 67g, fat 20g, carbohydrate 16g
1. To make the stock, put the neck of the duck and all the stock ingredients except the sugar into the Miele small deepsided oven dish with 1.7 litres cold water and 1 tsp salt. Simmer for 30 min. and leave to cool. Wash the duck, pat dry inside with kitchen paper and rub with salt and pepper.
2. To make the stuffing, chop the duck giblets very finely. Grate the ginger and chop the celery and spring onions very finely. Chop the green peppercorns. Core the pears and chop finely. Mix all the ingredients with 1½ tsp salt and the marjoram and use to stuff the duck. Pin the opening together with wooden skewers and tie up with kitchen string.
3. Put the stuffed duck on its breast in the stock and bring to the boil over a low heat. Turn the duck over and cook for another 5 min. Then turn the duck again and leave to cool in the stock overnight.
4. Remove the duck from the stock and put it on the universal tray on its breast. Put the tray in the oven on the 2nd shelf from bottom. Sieve about 300 ml of the stock and pour it into the tray. Put the oven dish with the remaining unsieved stock on the hob and simmer uncovered to reduce slightly.
5. Switch the oven on. Setting: Fan grill 200°C. After 35–40 min. put the duck on its back, baste it and cook for another 40–45 min. Baste twice more and cover any parts which are becoming too dark with aluminium foil.
6. Warm the plates. Leave the roasted duck to cool slightly outside the oven. Pour the stock into the universal tray and use a spatula to remove the browned bits from the bottom. Pour the stock through a sieve into a small pan, leave to stand for around 5 min. and skim off the fat. Reduce the sauce to the required amount and season with balsamic vinegar and sugar.
7. Carve the duck and put the slices of meat skin side up next to each other in the universal tray. Switch on the oven. Setting: Full grill 240°C. After 4–5 min. put the tray on the 3rd shelf from bottom. Grill the slices of duck for 4–7 min. until they are crispy, watching them constantly. Arrange the meat on the plates with the stuffing. Pour a little sauce over and serve the remaining sauce separately.